romp in the surf

< Previous | Next >

agustina bsas

Argentina - Spanish
Hi everyone!
What does "romp in the surf" mean?
Context:

Michelangelo drew such a scene, with Florentine warriors washing in the Arno, and photographers deployed with American troops during the Pacific campaign often snapped them off duty as they romped in the surf, forgetting the imminence of death.

Thanks!

• mplsray

Hi everyone!
    What does "romp in the surf" mean?
    Context:

Michelangelo drew such a scene, with Florentine warriors washing in the Arno, and photographers deployed with American troops during the Pacific campaign often snapped them off duty as they romped in the surf, forgetting the imminence of death.

Thanks!

From Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary entries for romp and surf:

romp...1 : to run or play in a lively, carefree, or boisterous manner
    surf...1 : the swell of the sea that breaks upon the shore

Wishfull

Japanese
    Hi.
    romp=play noisily and happily
    Photographers often took pictures of American troops, who played noisily and happily in the Pacific surf.
    I imagine that they might do surfing, or they might play in the Pacific beach.

Wishfull

Japanese
    Sorry, no surfing for rompers.
    Thanks, for correction.:)

So can I imagine that they make sand-castles, play with beach balls, swim in the beach, kick the surf with their naked feet, play tag, etc. just as seen in sand beaches?:confused:

edit)
    Are there any possibility that they are marines and they are on the Pacific sea, romping on their warship?

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Are there any possibility that they are marines and they are on the Pacific sea, romping on their warship?
    They could be Marines, but they could also be soldiers (Army) or sailors (Navy)... but whatever they are, their romping is done in the surf, not on board a warship.

Wishfull

Japanese
    They could be Marines, but they could also be soldiers (Army) or sailors (Navy)... but whatever they are, their romping is done in the surf, not on board a warship.
    Thank you, Copyright.
    I got it.
    I was confusing the definition of "surf" and "wave".
    I will learn the difference of "Marines" and "sailors".

< Previous | Next >