Rompers, playsuits and jumpsuits

Doh!

Japanese
I'm confused as to what the differences are between..

rompers

playsuits

jumpsuits

Sound like they are all clothing where the top and the pants are joined but apparently, there are slightly different in their own ways....?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The word I used when the children were babies was rompers. I understand the other terms to mean the same thing, but with the possibility of capturing a wider range of styles.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I agree that rompers are for babies and very small children. Playsuits are for older children. They are out of fashion now, but they used to be worn by children up to 12 or so (when forced by their mothers). Jumpsuits are worn by adults. In the seventies they were fashionable for men, but today they are worn mostly as a work coverall or by prisoners.

EDIT: I just noticed rompers being sold for adult women. I still think it is borrowed from the baby clothing.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The current term for the adult version is onesie. See Wikipedia:
    Onesie /ˈwʌnzi/ in the 2000s has become a commonly used word for loose-fitting casual jumpsuits for adults, made of knit cotton (as used in sweatshirts), fleece, or chenille. They have gained significant popularity as stylish streetwear. In the UK and Australia, the onesie became very popular during the late 2000s and early 2010s as a street fashion.
    Onesie (jumpsuit) - Wikipedia

< Previous | Next >