rooted disgust at it and her restrained me much, even in pleasure

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation:
I tried dissipation—never debauchery: that I hated, and hate. That was my Indian Messalina’s attribute: rooted disgust at it and her restrained me much, even in pleasure. Any enjoyment that bordered on riot seemed to approach me to her and her vices, and I eschewed it.

Context: Mr. R's mad wife was a West Indian native. He hated her very much so he left her for his "true love".
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. Does it mean "rooted disgust at her attribute of debauchery and herself restrained me much, even when I enjoyed pleasure"?

• goldenband

English - American
    Agreed. A modern writer might prefer "deeply-rooted". Another way to paraphrase it would be:

"Something deep inside me was disgusted by her debauchery, and [therefore?] by her. Even when I was pursuing pleasure, that disgust held me back from going past a certain point, i.e. the point where enjoyment became riot."

My guess is that he's basically saying "I drank one hell of a lot, but didn't indulge (much?) in sexual excess and libertinism."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >