rose cottage (signs painting)

< Previous | Next >

Vanna

USA English
I am painting signs in French, or trying to, surely have people looking who know French, so I want to get them right.

How do I know if a word is masculiine le or feminine la. That is about all I remember from my French in school..really bad, huh?

Also, if I am using a phrase like Tea Party in English, do I put (I am not using the accents, okay) The Soiree or do I put Soiree de la The or Soiree du The

Bottom line, do French phrases that translate to only two English words like
Rose Cottage have to be in French Cottage of the Rose or is it proper to use just the two words, Rose Cavanon....or Cavanon du Rose.....Help please! I want to do these correctly.

I saw another sign painter use savon ala rose. Now I know we use things like pie a la mode, but I looked in the dictionary and it indicated that A was used simply as the letter A, as in using the letter of the alphabet, and of course it said la was the....but no ala...I think this was incorrect and I do not want to make mistakes like this with my work...if indeed this was a mistake.

Would someone please help me on this...

Oh, yes, and by the way, I saw people talking about using the word SHALL and is it really used that much anymore. I was taught that shall and should are the same and will and would are the same..Shall was taught to me to be said if you are not definitely going to do it, but that you should do it. If someone ever says I shall to me, then I do not expect it. They are using that rather than should. On the other hand, in our crazy English language, will is definite, but would is not...as in I would if I could...not I will....so, I shall see about it is not the same as I will see about it...They are only admitting they should do it when saying shall. I don't think some people realize this, and maybe over the years it has been lost in what it really means. I think some people use shall thinking it sounds very "pretty", when that is not what it is for at all..it is evasive..BUT maybe the people who say that to me do know LOL

Okay, thanks so much...Just an afterthough about the shall. My main reason is wanting to make sure my French wording is correct. I see people using La and Le with the same nouns and that is not what I was taught, or am I having a memory lapse???

Anything will be appreciated.

• Sev

France, french.
    Hi Vanna,

Next time, try to post only once ;) ...

How do I know if a word is masculiine le or feminine la.
    Unfortunaltely, you have to learn every word, there is no real rule.....good luck !

Also, if I am using a phrase like Tea Party in English, do I put (I am not using the accents, okay) The Soiree or do I put Soiree de la The or Soiree du The
    "Thé" is masculine, so it's "La Soirée du Thé" or "Soirée du Thé"

Bottom line, do French phrases that translate to only two English words like
    Rose Cottage have to be in French Cottage of the Rose or is it proper to use just the two words, Rose Cavanon....or Cavanon du Rose.....Help please! I want to do these correctly.
    Well, most of the time it's "Cottage de la Rose"

savon ala rose
    It is "savon à la rose" which means soap flavored(?not sure of the english word !) with rose

sev

Danielle

Canada, French & English
    It would be easier if you wrote the phrases you ned translated, that way I could
    give you a better answer.

- Soirée is feminine : la soirée
    - thé is masculine : le thé
    -Tea Party could be "Une Soirée de thé".

- Rose Cottage could be "Chalet de la Rose" but I'm not sure of the context, so this might not be a perfect translation.

- 'ala' should be in 2 words: "à la"

Vanna

USA English
    Danielle said:
    'Tea party' could be "goûter"

Thank all of you for your help. I did put another message in with phrases I need to check, per your request....Thank you so much..

I do not understand how tea party can be gouter and also La soiree du the

Does it matter if I use de la or du for of the

In French, is what would be the subject in English the object of the preposition?

Also, I put cavanon for cottage since I got that from a French dictionary. Is it not right? Is it chalet?

Vanna

USA English
    Sev said:
    Hi Vanna,

Next time, try to post only once ;) ...

Unfortunaltely, you have to learn every word, there is no real rule.....good luck !

"Thé" is masculine, so it's "La Soirée du Thé" or "Soirée du Thé"

Well, most of the time it's "Cottage de la Rose"

It is "savon à la rose" which means soap flavored(?not sure of the english word !) with rose

sev

I intended to only post once, but kept thinking of other things to ask....Sorry !!!

Benjy

English - English
    Vanna said:
    I intended to only post once, but kept thinking of other things to ask....Sorry !!!
    hehe.. she meant dont post the SAME question multiple times.. you can ask as many questions as you want ;) otherwise i'd have a really low post count :s

also .. gouter, means hmm i dont really know how to translate it, but it could mean tea party.

Danielle

Canada, French & English
    Vanna said:
    I do not understand how tea party can be gouter and also La soiree du the

Does it matter if I use de la or du for of the
    It does matter :) soirée de thé is a litteral translation, I wouldn't use it. 'Goûter' is more of a tea/coffee with cake kind of event.

Vanna said:
    Also, I put cavanon for cottage since I got that from a French dictionary. Is it not right? Is it chalet?
    Cabanon, is more a tool shed than anything... According to the dictionnary, the word 'Cottage' could be used in French also. A 'chalet' is more of a 2nd home in the country, or a ski lodge. Depends on what your cottage is :)

Sev

France, french.
    Benjy said:
    hehe.. she meant dont post the SAME question multiple times.. you can ask as many questions as you want ;) otherwise i'd have a really low post count :s
    :p Yes sorry Vanna if I was rude, that was not my intention, but Benjy made it clear....:)

Sev

France, french.
    Danielle said:
    According to the dictionnary, the word 'Cottage' could be used in French also. A 'chalet' is more of a 2nd home in the country, or a ski lodge. Depends on what your cottage is :)
    I agree, I'd simply say "Cottage" in french too.

Vanna

USA English
    The first message I did, I posted it, came back to this site and didn't see it. I thought I must not have done something correctly, so I went back and submitted it again. I was afraid it might go twice after i did it...Won't happen again...Thanks for showing a new person the ropes, so to speak LOL

Vanna

USA English
    Thank you so much Danielle. Yes, I did get the reply. That is a very long one for Always Kiss Me Goodnight..LOL That would truly be a very long sign. Thank you though. Guess I will just do that one in English.

Did you see what I pulled from the dictionary by piecing things together for Southern Belle I think it was La Sud Beaute....not sure though. Does that seem like it would work? I paint a southern belle on the sign and don't want to have something that she is not painted beside her :) Someone would catch it and I would look so unprofessional and just dumb....

I can find individual words in the dictionary but to put them together is a challenge for them to mean the right thing. I did that with another one and someone told me (may be you, can't remember) that by itself it meant nothing. That is so strange to me since I pulled each word from the French dictionary.

Thanks again, so much :)

< Previous | Next >