rose-patterned myrtle

AlexanderIII

Russian
Dear all,
this is from the story by Adam Johnson Interesting Facts.

"I love your dress" is the first thing she said to me. It was a rose-patterned myrtle with a halter neck.

Halter neck is clear. Rose and myrtle are different flower plants. Probably the author means print consisting of myrtle and rose flowers. Is this correct?

• AlexanderIII

Russian
    I'd say myrtle is the colour. If it was the brand, one would expect a capital letter Myrtle/ Dior/. Why mention an unknown make?
    Actually I've found dresses from Myrtle in the web. But lower-case letter perplexes me.
    Hermione, there are crimson and white flowers of myrtle, at least I've seen these myself. Probably there are garden varieties of some other colours. So myrtle is still not clear.

AlexanderIII

Russian
    I am ready to agree but isn't it Myrtle Green (as I can see in the Web) and not just Myrtle? I don't know but probably there are Myrtle Red and Myrtle Crimson too.

Loob

English UK
    It seems from the immediate context that the speaker loves vintage clothing, and Google appears to indicate that vintage clothing fans use the term "myrtle" for a particular 1950s-style full-skirted halter-neck dress.

I have no expertise in the field though, so I don't know how likely this explanation is:(.

< Previous | Next >