Rosebud — meet Erica.

lilyppbb

Chinese
Hi, all

I'm translating a review on the film of The Social Network by Zadie Smith. There is a paragraph as follows:

At the end of the film (The Social Nework), when all the suing has come to an end (“Pay them. In the scheme of things it’s a parking ticket”), we’re offered a Zuckerberg slumped before his laptop, still obsessed with the long-lost Erica, sending a “Friend request” to her on Facebook, and then refreshing the page, over and over, in expectation of her reply…. Fincher’s contemporary window-dressing is so convincing that it wasn’t until this very last scene that I realized the obvious progenitor of this wildly enjoyable, wildly inaccurate biopic. Hollywood still believes that behind every mogul there’s an idée fixe: Rosebud—meet Erica.

I'm not sure how this "meet (Erica)" at the end means here? Does anyone know? Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I suggest you look up "Rosebud" in the context of Citizen Kane. The writer believes Rosebud and Erica are two things of the same kind, and is metaphorically introducing them to each other.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Yes, it is used in the imperative here. It is as if he was telling Rosebud to meet Erica. This is a common form for a formal introduction: "Mr. Jones, meet Mr. Smith."

< Previous | Next >