rough and tumble town

Hannouschka

Swedish
Hello everyone,

in this context, does "rough and tumble" mean or allude to anything more than its dictionary definition? I have a feeling it might be somehow connected to the mining industry in the US...???

"Many locals have family roots in the mining industry that was the lifeblood of rough and tumble town until the silver boom petered out" (It's about a small town in Arizona )

Cheers,

Hanna

• JamesM

"rough and tumble" is a set phrase that means wild, unruly, possibly even violent in extreme cases. A "rough and tumble town" would mean "uncivilized" to me, in the sense that muscle rather than law was used to settle disputes.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello everyone,

in this context, does "rough and tumble" mean or allude to anything more than its dictionary definition? I have a feeling it might be somehow connected to the mining industry in the US...???

"Many locals have family roots in the mining industry that was the lifeblood of rough and tumble town until the silver boom petered out" (It's about a small town in Arizona )

Cheers,

Hanna
    James is correct. Another interpretation of 'rough and tumble' might be disorderly, though violence is usually implied.

Be careful with the article you are reading. It has a few grammatical errors:

Many locals have family roots in the mining industry that was the lifeblood of _____this____ rough and tumble town until the silver boom petered out. Around the turn of the 20th century, the territorial prison moved to town. But the town really came back to life after...

There are some other punctuation and grammar errors in the original. http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=14333

Hannouschka

Swedish
    Thanks both of you. There did seem to be a word missing there, yes :). It's always good to know whether what you think are errors are really errors and not just variations that a native speaker wouldn't frown at. So thanks :).

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Caldwell has a reputation for being a rough town. I'd say that's still true, but not AS true as it once was. The Caldwell PD has done a great job in reducing gang crime in the past few years, which has resulted in an overall reduction in the crime rate.

Is caldwell that Bad?

Is "rough town" a short form for "rough and tumble town"? When you hear "rough town", is it the meaning that leaps out at you?

Myridon

English - US
    No, "rough" is sufficient in itself. From the Word Reference dictionary:
    2 not gentle; violent or boisterous: rough treatment.
    and Merriam-Webster
    2b (1) : characterized by harshness, violence, or force

3 : coarse or rugged in character or appearance

< Previous | Next >