Rough for theatre

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    My first reaction it that the entire thought is something like: "that's rough for theater."

In other words, the allusion is that something occurs that could be considered abnormally "rough" for a theater setting.

On second though, "rough" probably refers to a sketch or draft. Thus, a "rough for a theater" would be an unfinished or unpolished piece.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi friends,

I am translating a play and it's called Rough for Theatre. Any guess what that may mean?

Many thanks in advance!
    Beckett's play was originally called Fragment de théâtre and has also been known just as Théâtre, I think, in its original French. Beckett translated it himself into English, so I think the title must be his. My guess is that the title reflects the rough living of the characters, and also reflects that word fragment - it's a rough sketch of a play, in the author's view.

TraductoraPobleSec

Catalan & Spanish
    Beckett's play was originally called Fragment de théâtre and has also been known just as Théâtre, I think, in its original French. Beckett translated it himself into English, so I think the title must be his. My guess is that the title reflects the rough living of the characters, and also reflects that word fragment - it's a rough sketch of a play, in the author's view.

Thomas, this is wonderful info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

< Previous | Next >