rough line

farzaneh.N

Persian - Iran
Dear all,
Can you please let me get the meaning of rough in the following passage:

Here too, the subjects covered are at least as sociological as they are cultural. Hence perhaps the tendency of many scholars, including myself, to resort to the compound concept of the “sociocultural.”
It ought to be possible to draw a rough line down the middle of this concept, with (mainly) sociological issues on one side and (mainly) cultural ones on the other. One reason for doing this, for attempting to clarify the concept in this way, is the view we might then have of apparent research gaps – as I will try to show in what follows.

This is from an article on translation & sociology.
Thanks.

Source: "Questions in the sociology of translation," by Andrew Chesterman, in Translation: Studies at the Interface of Disciplines. <Edited by moderator (Florentia52) to provide source>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It ought to be possible to divide sociological issues from cultural ones (to draw a line between them). The line would be inexact (rough).

Basic as a first general idea or concept.

(Artists sometimes make "rough sketches" (drawings) before they go back to their studio to use them as guidelines for finished drawings or paintings with all the details added in.)

(cross-posted with Flo)

farzaneh.N

Persian - Iran
    Basic as a first general idea or concept.

(Artists sometimes make "rough sketches" (drawings) before they go back to their studio to use them as guidelines for finished drawings or paintings with all the details added in.)

(cross-posted with Flo)
    thanks. useful

< Previous | Next >