Rough - meaning

gabriel001234

Portuguese
A man saw an airship in bad condition and said it was more rough than he had expected. After that he said that it was just an old model and he could fly it. What does rough mean in that case? I couldn't find a definition that suits the situation. I don't think that it means "having an uneven surface".

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Which man? Which book/report? Which context? :thumbsup:

(Did he really say "more rough" or did he say "rougher"?)

gabriel001234

Portuguese
    Which man? Which book/report? Which context? :thumbsup:

(Did he really say "more rough" or did he say "rougher"?)
    He said "more rough". He is in a game. He was looking for the airship and then he found it. It had a bad appearance. The man said that it was "a bit more rough than he'd expected, but it was just an old model so he could use it."

sdgraham

USA English
    Is "in bad condition" an idiomatic definition? I couldn't find in any dictionary rough meaning "in bad condition".
    It's idiomatic, i.e., ordinary English, but not an idiom.

It's totally impossible to put every ordinary English statement into a dictionary.

That should be the first lesson learned by learners.

Szkot

UK English
    It's used about people as well as airships, e.g.
    From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English look rough. British English informal to look untidy, dirty, or unhealthy. After travelling for two days we must have looked pretty rough.

cubaMania

Is "in bad condition" an idiomatic definition? I couldn't find in any dictionary rough meaning "in bad condition".
    I'd point you to Macmillan dictionary definition No. 2 "difficult and with a lot of problems".
    INFORMAL difficult and with a lot of problems
    Oh boy, I had a rough day at the office.

a rough night (=a night when you cannot sleep):
    I feel terrible, I had a rough night last night.

a rough time:
    You’ve been through rough times, you know what it’s like.
    rough (adjective) American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

< Previous | Next >