rough scramble up

Masis

Bulgarian
There were places where to build an easy link would prove to be as much to an attacker's advantage as it was to a defender's, so it was left as a rough scramble up a narrow mountain path, which could be defended more easily.

Hello. Can you help me to understan what it means the phrase rough scramble up? Thank you.

• Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Please take advantage of the dictionary, Masis. If you look up scramble and read the definitions carefully, you will see that definition B5 fits your context perfectly.

Karraspito

Spanish from Spain
    Actually, if you look up scramble and read the definitions carefully, definition B5 DOES NOT fit that context at all:

'to collect or organize (things) in a hurried or disorderly manner (often fol. by together or up):He scrambled the papers up from the desk. I scrambled the report together at the last minute.'

First of all, because in Masis' example, the verb is intransitive and in B5 is transitive (admits a DC between verb and preposition).

I have ended up here because I had a similar doubt. Luckily I have been a member of this site long enough as to know people here are extremely kind and helpful. Otherwise, if this had been my first visit, I would have thought (erroneously) that people are rude and aggressive (and wrong), just judging by Nunty's reaction.

Greetings to everyone.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You happened to pick a very old thread, Karraspito. WR uses different dictionaries now, so the definition mentioned will not be the same as the one you can see today.

< Previous | Next >