rough streak

ddubug

Korea
<She'd had a rough streak lately, and it'd be great to introduce her to a guy like him.>

I've looked up dictionary. And I know 'streak'...but I don't know 'have a rough streak'....Don't blame me for not trying dictionary...I've tried first...always...I just can't understand!!!

• AWordLover

USA English
    HI,

Would it help if I said that in this sentence I take the meaning to be #4 in Word References dictionary. If you want more of a clue, just say so.

streak, run
    an unbroken series of events; "had a streak of bad luck"; "Nicklaus had a run of birdies"

Dimcl

Canadian English
    <She'd had a rough streak lately, and it'd be great to introduce her to a guy like him.>

I've looked up dictionary. And I know 'streak'...but I don't know 'have a rough streak'....Don't blame me for not trying dictionary...I've tried first...always...I just can't understand!!!
    From Dictionary.com:

Informal. a.a spell or run: a streak of good luck. b.an uninterrupted series: The team had a losing streak of ten games.

Looking up a word like "streak" in the dictionary doesn't simply mean finding the literal definition because of the many meanings of the word. As you know, a certain amount of logic has to go into understanding the phrase in the context of the entire sentence. Since the definition that I and AWordLover have given you for "streak" is the only one that logically works, you can then figure out that "a rough streak" means that she's had a streak of rough/hard times (not smooth and easy).

< Previous | Next >