round gown

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Masha*, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. Masha* Senior Member

    Russia: Russian
    Could you please explain what "round gown" is. I've come across a number of pictures and mentionings of round gowns in the Internet but failed to find the definition of it. The dictionary did not help either.

    This is the context:

    "She was such a striking woman, despite the unfashionably plain round gown of dark blue worsted and a shawl that was clearly designed for warmth and comfort rather than elegance."

    Thank you in advance
  2. Cupelix New Member

    Chambéry, FRANCE
    Canada English
    Is it perhaps the shape of the dress that is rounded or that makes the hips stand out ? Do you have any pictures that would help you ? What time period is it from ?
  3. mjscott Senior Member

  4. Masha* Senior Member

    Russia: Russian
  5. Masha* Senior Member

    Russia: Russian
    This is Regency period. Google gives some pictures (see the message of mjscott) but these dresses to my thinking have nothing in common. I need to find a Russian equivalent which means I have to find the definition.
  6. Trisia

    Trisia mod de viață

    If they really have nothing in common except for the period, why can't you just call them Regency-style dresses?
  7. Joobs Banned

    In a house
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    It really isn't an English language term (hence why you cannot find it in a dictionary), merely fashion industry jargon for the style.

    My suggestion is to get a picture of the type of dress you require and then take that to the dress shops and ask them if they have anything in a similar style.
  8. JUNIO

    JUNIO Senior Member

    Spanish, Spain

Share This Page