route - finished routing the cables

Masood

British English
In Spain, what would be an idiomatic way to say "routing the cables"? When I say "routing", I'm talking about installing the cable (e.g. ethernet) from point A (e.g. under the floor then around the frame of a door, through a hole in the wall, along the skirting boards, etc.) to point B.

Quiero decir "I thought I'd finished routing the cables, but there's two more (to do).".

Pensé que había acabado con el encaminar de los cables, pero quedan dos más (?)

• gato radioso

spanish-spain
    Poner
    Cablear

can be fine here.

Creí que había terminado de poner los cables pero...
    Creí que había terminado de cablear/hacer el cableado pero...

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    Cheers for these. I just thought of another one - does instalar work?
    Instalar can be fine when you set up a sort of infrastructure: you place machines, plugs, devices, that type of thing, that are supposed to be a fixed place permanently. You can apply these in a very general sense: pipes, kitchen appliances, sinks, machinery...

When the only thing you do is putting cables connecting two devices, I wouldn´t think you could say it... maybe because cables can be easily removed any time you need.
    Nevertheless, in the professional jargon, they also say instalar when you simply set up programme in a computer, even when that doesn´t imply anything physical.

Masood

British English
    When the only thing you do is putting cables connecting two devices, I wouldn´t think you could say it... maybe because cables can be easily removed any time you need.
    Actually, I'm only talking about laying/routing the cables. They will be open-ended in readiness for connecting a device at each end. I don't know if that changes the translation.

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    Actually, I'm only talking about laying/routing the cables. They will be open-ended in readiness for connecting a device at each end. I don't know if that changes the translation.
    Perhaps not, as it doesn´t imply much infrastructure. I would simply say cablear or poner cables.

Maybe if you needed some kind of canaleta (a thin plastic tube attached to a wall with cables inside used for protection or aesthetic reasons) or staples to affix them to a wall...instalar could be fine. These elements imply the cables wouldn´t be removed for a certain time.

The point is that sometimes when you need a 100% accuracy to name something, you can bump into a grey zone, as languages are imprecise sometimes...when would you say that a boy becomes a man exactly? Nobody knows an exact answer, but if you see them in front of you, you can make out if someone´s a boy or a man instantly.
    Perhaps the only safe guide here would be listening to natives, how would they name things spontaneously in a given situation. Even so, most people would call a thing in a way, others would do it differently.

Last edited:

Masood

British English
    Perhaps not, as it doesn´t imply much infrastructure. I would simply say cablear or poner cables.

Maybe if you needed some kind of canaleta (a thin plastic tube attached to a wall with cables inside used for protection or aesthetic reasons) or staples to affix them to a wall...instalar could be fine. These elements imply the cables wouldn´t be removed for a certain time.

The point is that sometimes when you need a 100% accuracy to name something, you can bump into a grey zone, as languages are imprecise sometimes...when would you say that a boy becomes a man exactly? Nobody knows an exact answer, but if you see them in front of you, you can make out if someone´s a boy or a man instantly.
    Perhaps the only safe guide here would be listening to natives, how would they name things spontaneously in a given situation. Even so, most people would call a thing in a way, others would do it differently.
    Thanks for this.