Royal dedication

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Khaemwaset, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Khaemwaset Senior Member

Flamisch - Belgium
    I have the sentence:
    Both hieroglyphic columns show the royal dedication of the tomb of prince Khaemwaset.
    1.What you advise me to use : the royal dedication or the king's dedication?
    2.Is it necessary in English to write the name of a royalty (king, prince...) with a capital?

2. Copperknickers Senior Member

Scotland - Scots and English
    I'm not an Egyptologist, but I would assume if you are talking about hieroglyphics you would want to talk about a 'pharaoh' rather than a 'king'. 'Royal' would be a perfectly acceptable substitute for 'pharaoh's' however, as a pharoah is a type of royal. And we always capitalise proper nouns, so yes, you must capitalise the name of the pharaoh (and the word 'Pharaoh' or 'King' as well, when they are used as titles).

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    The sentence "Both hieroglyphic columns show the royal dedication of the tomb of prince Khaemwaset." is a little ambiguous. Here, I assume you are using "dedication" to mean "a descriptive passage". In this case, it would be wrong to qualify "dedication".

You could possibly mean "Both hieroglyphic columns show that the royal dedication of the tomb of is dedicated to Prince Khaemwaset."

If Prince is a rank, then it is capitalised, if it refers to the general "royal son", it is not.
    "The King's favourite, Prince Khaemwaset, was the eldest of the princes."

4. Khaemwaset Senior Member

Flamisch - Belgium
    PaulQ
    The two hieroglyphic columns tell us that Pharaoh Ramses III ordered to construct a tomb for his beloved son Khaemwaset.
    That's the reason that we can read that Ramses III dedicates the tomb for his son Khaemwaset.
    Is it wrong to speak in that case about 'the King's dedication'?

5. Khaemwaset Senior Member

Flamisch - Belgium
    The English translation of the hieroglyphs is:
    "Executed as tribute from the King, Lord of Two Lands, Usermaatre-Meryamun, Master of Coronations, Ramesses Heqaiunu, for his son, the sem priest of Ptah the Great, who is in the south of his wall, Lord of Memphis, the Royal Son Khaemwaset, justified"
    In the literature you can read that this is 'the royal dedication'.
    Is there a better word than dedication ?

6. Copperknickers Senior Member

Scotland - Scots and English
    No, 'dedication' is the correct word.