royalty, in a metaphorical sense

< Previous | Next >
Hi all,

Is there a good Russian equivalent for the English adjective royalty when meant in a metaphorical sense?

For example: That family is Harvard royalty to mean "that family is long-established and highly regarded at Harvard; they are the elites there."

Thanks!

• Maroseika

Russian
    I can think of only this: старинная и знатная гарвардская семья.
    By the way, what does Harvard family mean exactly? Harvard is not a town, is it? In what sense it is connected with Harvard?

I can think of only this: старинная и знатная гарвардская семья.
    By the way, what does Harvard family mean exactly? Harvard is not a town, is it? In what sense it is connected with Harvard?
    Thanks for the reply!

There is a town in Massachusetts called Harvard, and the sentence would work in that sense, but I was thinking of the university. It could be a family that has long been associated with the institution, have donated a lot, a lot of them went there or taught there, etc.

Maroseika

Russian
    In case of the university my suggestion doesn't work, of course. Just семья, давно и прочно связанная с Гарвардом, связанная прочными узами, something like that.

GCRaistlin

Russian
    Семья, которую связывают с Гарвардом долгие отношения.

Ivan_I

Banned
    Russian
    For example: That family is Harvard royalty to mean "that family is long-established and highly regarded at Harvard; they are the elites there."
    If you want it to sound sarcastic I would recommend: Эта семья царственное священство в Гарварде.
    If it's not the case: Это семья состоит из элитарных воспитанников Гарварда. (It sounds pompous and lofty). Few people would say so, but every one would understand.

michaill

English - US
    I don't think there's an equivalent, it's probably heavily dependent on context. In this case you can possibly use aristocracy in place of royalty.
    Эта семья принадлежит к гарвардской аристократии.

Vovan

Russian
    they are the elites there
    "Элита", by the way, is employed as one of the possible Russian equivalents of "royalty", as can be seen on Reverso Context (a database of translations).
    Эта семья - гарвардская элита.

Rosett

Russian
    «Эта семья принадлежит к высшему слою / высшим слоям Гарвардского сообщества».
    But there’s no such adjective in Russian.

Last edited:

Okkervil

Russian - Russia (NW)
    That family is Harvard royalty to mean "that family is long-established and highly regarded at Harvard; they are the elites here."
    Формально:
    Члены этой семьи традиционно входят в число
    представителей академической/политической/ общественной/деловой элиты Гарварда.

Менее точно:
    Традиции этой семьи составляют часть общественного
    достояния Гарварда.

Или:
    Это семья пользуется заслуженным авторитетом/имеет общественный вес в Гарварде.

Last edited:

Rosett

Russian
    «Эта семья принадлежит к высшему слою / высшим слоям Гарвардского сообщества».
    But there’s no such adjective in Russian.
    «... принадлежит к избранным/цвету Гарвардского сообщества».

< Previous | Next >