Rsrs, hahaha, lol, kkkk

• Ricardinho

English
    Rsrs is "Internetese". Regular folk write hahaha (3x -- don't ask me why).

It's been 14 years since I actually did any chatting but the last time I did, I seem to recall Brazilians typing "hihihi"(which, if we did say or type that in English it would be hee hee hee) or some other abbreviation of risos, rsos I think. A lot changes in 14 years I guess!

Agiii

Polish
    Leio muitas tirinhas braseleiras no facebook.
    Muitas vezes a gente que comenta escreve simplemente: "kkkkkkkkk".
    O que significa? E como "hahaha" en ingles ou "jejeje" em espanhol?

harshduck

UK, English
    Oi gente,

Pode alguem explicar rsrsrs e kkkk na frase abaixo? Eu acho que tem de ser algo tipo dizem coisas solidárias - é que entendi bem?

Minha família me apoia em tudo, os amigos se não apoiam fingem rsrsrs e os colegas de trabalho me surpreenderam, todos sabem que estou em busca da realização de um sonho e fui abraçada por todos, se os meus chefes não entendem também fingem kkkk

Minha tentativa:

My family support me in everything, friends who support me make sympathetic noises and work colleagues have surprised me: everyone knows that I am trying to realize a dream and everyone has been giving me hugs; even though my bosses do not understand, they also make sympathetic noises.

Fico grato a quem me responder

Archimec

Portugal, portuguese
    Talvez,
    ..., friends- if they don't support me, they pretend they do (I'm laughing quietly)- and work colleagues... ..., if my bosses don't understand they also pretend they do. (I'm laughing loud)

harshduck

UK, English
    Obrigado pela sua resposta Archimec. É que assim se representam os risos em português? (Em inglês, escreve-se hahaha; em espanhol jajajaja)

ESustad

English - (Minnesota)
    'kkkkkkk' comes from Koreans playing World of Warcraft, which is enormously popular there. Derisive laughter (while destroying other players) is expressed in Korean with a 'k' sound. It began with '크크크크크크크,' and wound up transliterated in Latin characters with Ks.

harshduck

UK, English
    'kkkkkkk' comes from Koreans playing World of Warcraft, which is enormously popular there. Derisive laughter (while destroying other players) is expressed in Korean with a 'k' sound. It began with '크크크크크크크,' and wound up transliterated in Latin characters with Ks.
    Thanks. A nice bit of obscure knowledge there!

pi92

Português - Portugal
    I wish to clarify that "kkk", "rsrsrs", "rá-rá-rá" (didn't know that one) or "huahuahua" etc only applies to Brazil. Portuguese people will only ever write "lol", "haha" to laugh. Indeed "brazilian laughs" sound strange to us and most won't understand how for example "rsrs" is even supposed to convey laughing!

Then there's also "hehe" or "hihi" but I agree they are not "real" laughs for when you find something funny: "hehe" is sort of sarcastic, you-did-something-naughty, and "hihi" is the same, but with a more (jokingly) childish tone.

And finally, "mwahaha"/"muahahaha" for an evil laugh, of course :)

Very interesting. I DID think the brazilian "kkk" reminded me of korean "ㅋㅋㅋㅋ" ! And I find the reason behind hilarious... hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:

mykka

Portuguese
    I wish to clarify that "kkk", "rsrsrs", "rá-rá-rá" (didn't know that one) or "huahuahua" etc only applies to Brazil. Portuguese people will only ever write "lol", "haha" to laugh.

That is not true. I write "kkkkk" the most often, and I know plenty of people who use it too.

Leandro

Brazil - Portuguese
    Just a little bit more of information that I think nobody has metioned yet.
    In Brazil the intensity of your laugh (or how funny you think something is) is expressed in the length of your "written laughter".
    Some people write "rsrsrs" or "kkkk" or "hauhauhau" etc. But if they think something is very funny the length of those "words" varies:
    "rsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrs" or "kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk" or "ahuahuahuahuahuahuahuauhauahuhauh" (usually we don't pay atention to the order of the letters, we just repeatedly type the letters h/a/u or r/s.

Just another thing: on Facebook a lot of Brazilian profiles were being blocked (mine was twice) because their owners commented or posted or wrote something with exatcly 3 letter k (kkk). Later on I found out that was because Facebook filters and tags "kkk" as the abbreviation of that Arian hate group in the US.

SilDM

Portuguese- Brazil
    Bom dia,
    How can one write the sound of laughter in portuguese? I know for example in Spanish it's "jajaja." For Portuguese however, I've looked it up in a few places and I keep getting "ah!," but just one. Does the "ah!" mean an entire stream of laughter? or does it need to be repeated like "ahahahah"?

Sorry, I know this is a weird question.
    Muito obrigada.
    I'd say it differs from person to person, but it you want something similar to the Spanish "jajaja" we use "Kakaka" too but we also just write "ahahaha" sometimes, and some people also write "kkkkkkk"(txt only). Also this is a strange one but we occasionally use "huehuehuehue". We also use "pfffff" in a dismissive way. I've also seen people using "asuhasuhahsuha" which I'm not all that familiar with but... I also usually don't see "rsrsrsrs" all that much but there is people who use it too.

Last edited:

SilDM

Portuguese- Brazil
    How do you write "haha" - i.e. the sound of someone laughing - in European Portuguese? I know in Brazil it is "rsrs" but is it the same in Portugal?

Thanks!
    I've seen some use "kkkkkkk" and "ahahahah" too like in Brazilian Portuguese. I've also have seen people use "hihihi" as well. I've never seen someone who speaks Portuguese from Portugal use "rsrs" though.

Last edited:

Guigo

Português (Brasil)
    Piada dos primórdios da internet (anos 1990): rsrsrs = gaúcho envergonhado; RSRSRS = gaúcho orgulhoso.

RS é a sigla do estado brasileiro do Rio Grande do Sul e gaúcho é quem lá nasce ou habita.