rubber boots

molad

Korean
Hello guys,

I encountered an expression 'rubber boots' while reading a short novel by O Henry. And I don't understand what it means. Please help. It seems clear that this doesn't mean 'condom' in this context. :) Thank you.

=============================
"Wine for that gang!" he commanded the waiter, pointing with his finger.
<<Excessive quotation deleted>>

The waiter ventured to whisper that it was perhaps inexpedient to carry out the order, in consideration of the dignity of the house and its custom.

<<Excessive quotation deleted>>
Well, it'll flow all right at the caffy to-night, just the same. It'll be rubber boots for anybody who comes in there any time up to 2 A. M."

(Quote from 'Social Triangle' by O Henry)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Jim2996

American English
    To me, he is being figurative and exaggerating. The idea is that the wine/drink/liquid will be everywhere, even on the floor—and so deep that everyone will need to wear rubber boots to keep their feet dry.

Does that make sense?

london calling

UK English
    Rubber in colloquial AE means condom (and in BE it means a pencil eraser) which clearly isn't the meaning here, as you say.;) Rubber boots is another way of saying Wellington boots (check it out on Google Images).;) I agree with Jim's interpretation.:)

Copyright

American English
    I have trimmed your text to four sentences to stay within our limit. In the future, you'll need to describe the scene if four sentences are not enough to give us context. Thank you.

< Previous | Next >