rubber-soled awkwardness?

gambheyhey

Chinese
At fifteen, Ginnie was about five feet nine in her 9-B tennis shoes, and as she entered the lobby, her self-conscious rubber-soled awkwardness lent her a dangerous amateur quality. It made Selena prefer to watch the indicator dial over the elevator

What does rubber-soled awkwardness mean here? I guess the answer is closely related to the meaning of dangerous amateur quality, which I can't comprehend.

Can somebody help me with that?
Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    At fifteen, Ginnie was about five feet nine in her 9-B tennis shoes, and as she entered the lobby, her self-conscious rubber-soled awkwardness lent her a dangerous amateur quality. It made Selena prefer to watch the indicator dial over the elevator

What does rubber-soled awkwardness mean here? I guess the answer is closely related to the meaning of dangerous amateur quality, which I can't comprehend.

Can somebody help me with that?
    Thanks.
    "rubber-soled awkwardness" is simply referring to her very large feet in her very large tennis shoes. She's a big girl and is awkward in her big tennis shoes. Since we have no other context, I have no idea what "dangerous amateur quality" means.

expenseroso

United States, English
    5'9" with size 9 feet is very large for a girl. As she is only 15 years old, I assume she has only recently grown so large, and isn't really comfortable in her body. So she walks awkwardly ("rubber-soled awkwardness"). I'm not sure what "dangerous amateur quality" means exactly without more context.

< Previous | Next >