rubbing the private parts against someone

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vitor boldrin, Jan 29, 2014.

  1. vitor boldrin Senior Member

    português brasileiro
    Hi! Guys what's up!
    I am brazilian and I would like to know what is the name of the act that usually when a perverted man rubs his private parts against a woman without putting his penis out of his pants on the bus and subway ?
    what is the most common word and verb to classify this action in english?

    Hump,dry hump,heavy-pet would they not be this word?
    You guys feel free to correct my english.

  2. dreamlike

    dreamlike Senior Member

  3. pob14 Senior Member

    Central Illinois
    American English
    Most common? The technical term, as pointed out by dreamlike, is frottage (frotteurism is the psychological condition, frottage is the act).

    I doubt that one person in twenty among the general public would ever have heard either word. "Dry humping" is generally used for a consensual version. I suppose most people would just say "look at that pervert rubbing up against that poor worman."
  4. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    :thumbsup: Or rubbing himself up against.

    For me humping is what over-zealous dogs do to your legs.
  5. antofix85 New Member

    Italy, Pavia
    Im my opinion is called PETTING
  6. Florentia52

    Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

    English - United States
    Not in AE.
  7. vitor boldrin Senior Member

    português brasileiro
    are these sentences mine right?

    A girl took a rubbing up against her on the bus.
    A women get rubbing up by pervy men everyday.

    she was rubbed by a old man on the train.
  8. Andygc

    Andygc Senior Member

    British English
    And you would be completely wrong. Petting involves touching by hand.
  9. pob14 Senior Member

    Central Illinois
    American English
    Only the last one works for me, vitor.
  10. Florentia52

    Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

    English - United States
    We're not allowed to proofread in this forum. Do you have a specific question about one of your sentences that pertains to your original question?
  11. pob14 Senior Member

    Central Illinois
    American English
    And 93.6% of the time, "petting" is used for a consentual encounter. (Warning: I may be guessing about the percentage.)
  12. vitor boldrin Senior Member

    português brasileiro
    From what I've seen this act is better to classify it as rub up against.
    << could you give me more examples of when a woman suffers the rubbing up against? >>
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  13. pob14 Senior Member

    Central Illinois
    American English
    I think - I hope - you mean you want a way to say this in the passive voice, because I am not going to link to examples of the act!

    I'm not really sure I would say it in the passive - I suppose you could say "Jane had some guy rub up against her on the train this morning," or something like that.
  14. DonnyB

    DonnyB Senior Member

    Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The problem is that "rub up against" doesn't work very well when used as a passive construction in which you make the female the subject of the sentence. I'd suggest that unless you really need to specify the exact nature of the act, "The girl was indecently assaulted on the bus" is idiomatic in BE.
  15. Keith Bradford

    Keith Bradford Senior Member

    Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Really? I think The girl was rubbed up against by a man on the bus is a valid sentence, no?

    Certainly I can't think of any other way, unless you want to go into the highly technical: The girl was subjected to an act of frottage by a man on the bus.
  16. DonnyB

    DonnyB Senior Member

    Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'm afraid that sounds rather contrived and unnatural to me.:(

    I'd go more for pob14's idea of "The girl had some man rub up against her on the bus".
  17. Packard

    Packard Senior Member

    USA, English
    I never heard of "frottage". I went on line to see what the synonyms for "frottage" were and none came up in English. However if you look under French language synonyms there are six listed. Hmmm.

    Is this a French word borrowed for the occasion?

    I think in AE we say, "Sexual touching". But that may only apply to hands, though I would say that you can touch with many parts of the body.
  18. vitor boldrin Senior Member

    português brasileiro
    As I'm not a native speaker and from what I have researched about this matter to describe this action is best to use noun rubbing (up) against someone and verb to rub (up) against someone.
    I would also know how to describe the action which in the case the victim (woman) suffers it.
    should I use which them?
    get a rubbing.
    take a rubbing.
    suffer a rubbing.

    thank you for the answers.
  19. Parla Senior Member

    New York City
    English - US
    None of these would be used. See the answers to this in posts #13 and #16.
  20. wandle

    wandle Senior Member

    English - British
    The situation is not common enough to have a single short term for it in ordinary language.
    One way to describe the victim's experience would be to say 'She was assaulted by a man rubbing himself against her'.
  21. london calling Senior Member

    As a victim of just this (on more than one occasion....:eek:) , I would say I had been 'indecently assaulted', as Donny B. suggests. If however I were obliged to say exactly what the perv. did to me, I'd say he 'rubbed himself up against me', as per ewie's suggestion.
  22. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    Also, Vítor, don't assume that just because a noun is possible it is actually used. No-one would ever say, "I was the victim of a rubbing up against" or "I experienced a rubbing up against". As everyone keeps saying, in normal speech we'd use a verb: Someone rubbed himself up against me / Maria had a guy rub himself against her, etc.
  23. Wordsmyth

    Wordsmyth Senior Member

    Location: Mostly SW France
    Native language: English (BrE)
    Valid, perhaps, Keith, but to my ear the three consecutive prepositions "up against by" do make it sound unnatural (the sentence, I mean :p). I would just avoid the passive voice in this case.

  24. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

    Southwest France
    English - England
    I think the nearest to a passive form I'd be likely to use would be something like:

    She had someone rub himself against her on the bus - that would be taken in a sexual sense by most people with a bit of street experience.
  25. vitor boldrin Senior Member

    português brasileiro
    In my native language there's a word to describe that.
    But I think that the best way to describe this malicious act inside the crowded buses and trains is to use "to have someone (up) rub himself against somebody".
    thank you everyone for the answers and I'm sorry for my poor and bad english.
  26. Smauler Senior Member

    Ipswich, Suffolk, England
    British English
    If you rub up against someone it can be innocuous. It doesn't mean that you are sexually assaulting them, it means that you in contact with them, and on the tube this happens a lot. There's nothing sexual or weird about this... loads of people in a tight space, people rub up against each other.

    There's not that much of a problem with tight filled tube trains sexually - 99.99% of the people just want to be where they are going, and try to ignore each other as much as possible.
  27. bennymix

    bennymix Senior Member

    Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).

    I think it's as common as dirt, and the words are given by pob, Thomas, and others. The intricacies of phrasing are because one is trying to make the woman the subject of the sentence. (Donnie noted this point.) In real life, my daughter would say, "A man tried to rub himself against me on the bus." The addition of 'himself' may not be needed; it's to suggest a specific body part, if that's what happened.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  28. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

    English - US
    The original poster made it clear that he wants a word for an interaction that is intended to be sexual.
    I agree that the most common way of saying this 'rub himself against' someone. (See post #4.) The inclusion of the reflexive 'himself' indicates that we are talking about a deliberate action. That and other clues in the context would indicate that offensive behavior is being described, not accidental contact.
  29. vitor boldrin Senior Member

    português brasileiro

    Here in Brazil is not always like this and of course people already rubbed up themself against me (is it right?) on the bus this is inevitable but I realize if it is malicious or not as the women already rubbed up their breasts against my back, once again this is inevitable.
  30. wandle

    wandle Senior Member

    English - British
    Well, I should say the reason why people have put forward various phrases is simply the lack of any common single term.
    It seems vitor boldrin was looking for a noun and a verb; that is, a single word in each case to express the concept:
    However, we do not seem to have any single word, either noun or verb, in common use for this.
    As pointed out by pob14, the noun 'frottage' is far from common. As far as I know, there is no English verb at all, rare or common, to express the action in a single word.

    vitor bodrin points out that his language (Brazilian Portuguese) does have a word for it.

    Why the difference? Words evolve to meet the needs of speakers. Why then is there no common one-word term in English? It could be because among English-speakers the action itself is less common, or is less talked about or both. I could not count the number of journeys I have made on bus, train and underground in this country and I have hardly ever noticed anything which would indicate such behaviour.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  31. london calling Senior Member

    I have to admit I agree with that. I have never been assaulted in this way on the tube or on a London bus (or anywhere else in the UK, for that matter), but it has happened to me, and to many friends of mine as well, on several occasions on buses in Italy.

    By the way, there is also a verb in Italian to describe this kind of behaviour, although offhand I cannot think of a noun.

Share This Page