rubric day

< Previous | Next >

Shandol

Persian
Hello,
America, this is the rubric day Upon our calendar. This is the day our ancestors declared The solemn ordeal of a sacred war, To prove our independence and the right Of smaller nations to struggle their own way Into the light.
Slow Harvest - Louis Kaufman Anspacher

I don't quite get what is meant by "rubric day". Can anybody illuminate the matter?

Thanks.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Mediaeval monks illuminated the matter, in fact. Certain important days in the church calendar were written in red (Latin ruber) to make them stand out. This gives us two English expressions for it, 'rubric' and 'red-letter day'.

Shandol

Persian
    Thank you both.
    Could the expression be used in everyday conversation? Is it understandable?
    For instance:
    - What is your plan for next Tuseday, Mnemon?
    - Well, it is a rubric day in my daily planner. As a matter of fact, I am supposed to inaugurate the factory on that particular day. ;)

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    The poem is not online full text but the poet was born in the 1870s and wrote this in 1943, that is during the Second World War. It is self consciously old fashioned and stately in diction and echos the language of his more famous peer Robert Frost in his more sententious and patriotic moments.

"Rubric" is probably a conscious archaism at the time of writing.

These days the only use of rubric that I hear is a check off list for grading assignments in school.

< Previous | Next >