rubric

< Previous | Next >

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
Hello everybody, I am translating a Curriculum of a school and I am not sure about the word "rubric" in the following context. The text is not an original but seems to be already a translation so I wonder if it is used correctly here.

For every work sample placed in the portfolio, a conference takes place between the teacher and the student in which they discuss the expectations of the assignment and both the teacher's and student's assessment of the work against the rubric .
Could they mean the title of the work?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    It's a translation already, so some imagination may be needed. What sort of work is placed in the portfolio? Are we talking drawings and paintings, essays, poems, research papers? In fact, what sort of school is this?

ewie

English English
    Hello Zvonda. Well yes, it's used correctly ... provided that the term rubric has been explained beforehand. On its own it means virtually nothing to me.

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
    Well, it hasn´t but later the text uses the collocation assessment rubric. Could it mean section? It would seem quite logical, but this is not the meaning of rubric, is it?

Work samples to be placed in the student portfolio are two be chosen for one of two possible reasons. Either the work met or exceeded the expectations outlined in the assessment rubric or ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Rubrics are fairly popular these days. Here is one description:
    Heidi Goodrich, a rubrics expert, defines a rubric as "a scoring tool that lists the criteria for a piece of work or 'what counts.'" So [for intance] a rubric for a multimedia project will list the things the student must have included to receive a certain score or rating. (Underlining added.)
    Source: What is a Rubric, on Rubistar.

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
    Sorry, the school is a secondary school and the assignments are written from different subjects (maths, English, etc.).

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I'm used to the term exam rubric which would refer to instructions given to candidates about what is required of them. (See here for an example of exam rubrics by King's College.) Therefore what it seems to mean is that the assignment and its assessment are discussed in relation to the instructions given to the candidates - eg whether they kept to them.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I should have said that rubrics are popular in certain circles, in particular among US school teachers.

Below link to a rubric generator for your amusement. For instance, here is one element of their Paragraph Writing Rubric. A paragraph achieving the first would receive the highest score, the last the lowest. It is laid out so that each such category is assigned a certain number of possible points, which can be added at the end for a grade.
    Main/Topic Idea Sentence
    1. Main/Topic idea sentence is clear, correctly placed, and is restated in the closing sentence.
    2. Main/Topic idea sentence is either unclear or incorrectly placed, and is restated in the closing sentence.
    3. Main/Topic idea sentence is unclear and incorrectly placed, and is restated in the closing sentence.
    4. Main/Topic idea sentence is unclear and incorrectly placed, and is not restated in the closing sentence.
    Source: Teachnology

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I am familiar with this term in the educational context, also.
    "Rubric" has become a trendy term, which is more or less the same as "indicator," except that rubrics usually define a scale or range (as in the example in post #11) and an indicator could be simply a yes/no standard.
    Scoring rubrics/assessment rubrics are used as part of instruction to prepare students in advance for how they will be assessed.

< Previous | Next >