rude and (persistent?) on talking throughout the film

< Previous | Next >

susantash

Español de Uruguay
Hi everyone!

Is "persistent" appropriate in this sentence? Let's suppose I'm pretty annoyed by a couple of noisy teens who were constantly talking during the movie. (At the cinema). Would it be ok to say "they were persistent on talking throughout the film"?
The thing is that this sentence appears in a fill in the gaps exercise and I'm not sure if "persistent" is the word I need, mainly because the gap is followed by the preposition "on", which I'm not sure collocates with this adjective.

• Acoreano

English - UK
    No. "They talked constantly throughout the film."

EDIT - Woops! Didn't read the question! Didn't see the reference to "on". Possibly "insistent"???althought that's pretty clunky!

Anyone else?

Loob

English UK
    What were the options for the blank, susan, and what - if any - context was provided?

(The only thing that occurs to me is "They were intent on talking...".)

Packard

USA, English
    Or, "They persisted in talking throughout the film..." But that sounds too kind for the rude behavior.

So I might be inclined to write, "They rudely persisted..."

susantash

Español de Uruguay
    There wasn't any context. Just the gapped sentence (to be completed with only one word) without options. The thing is that the exercise intends to revise vocabulary seen in the unit and one of the words seen was "persistent", and it was the only one I thought could fit the context (given by the sentence).

Loob

English UK
    Sounds like a bad exercise then, susan:(.

They were persistent on talking throughout the film doesn't work, I'm afraid. As you say, "persistent" doesn't collocate with "on".

Biffo

English - England
    There wasn't any context. Just the gapped sentence (to be completed with only one word) without options. The thing is that the exercise intends to revise vocabulary seen in the unit and one of the words seen was "persistent", and it was the only one I thought could fit the context (given by the sentence).
    Have you given us the precise gapped question as it was printed? It couldn't be what you quoted in your original post because that didn't start with a capital letter.

I think we need the whole thing and, if possible, a link to the exercise. :)

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    You could say they insisted on talking if you mean they kept on talking.
    Persisted in talking would work if you told them to stop and they ignored you.

Loob

English UK
    Yes but .. it seems that susan's test question was "They were __ on talking throughout the film". (So you can't exclude the word "were"....)

As I said earlier, the only option I can see is "They were intent on..."

< Previous | Next >