ruined walls


Senior Member
Hello everyone,

Is it correct to use the word 'ruined' in this context? Someone is renovating their room because the walls in the room are ruined.

Isn't the word ruined too strong there? Wouldn't it mean that the walls have partly fallen down?
  • Linkway

    Senior Member
    British English
    "Dilapidated" suggested by DonnyB is a good choice, especially if the damage occurred gradually eg "dilapidated by neglect".

    However, "dilapidated" carries with it an implication that the property has not been looked after.

    In general, "damaged" is also suitable and definitely better than "ruined" in this context.

    "Ruined" would be appropriate if they were so badly damaged they could not function as walls, and could not easily be repaired.

    Many houses, shops and hospitals were damaged in the air raids. Several houses were ruined and the people fled to a refugee camp.

    And if you were a builder hoping to get a customer to pay you to do t, but you'd probably offend the owner.

    I would also be disinclined to use "dilapidated" unless you meant the building as a whole eg "a dilapidated cottage" - rather than (say) one or two walls in one or two rooms.

    If a nice house was hit by a storm, you could talk about "repairing the damage" or "repairing the damaged building", but it would be wrong to use "dilapidated" in that situation.

    (Edit: I refined my answer a bit before seeing that Fredziu had quoted me. My apologies for any confusion.)
    Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >