rule out/send off

ritter66

Czech
Hello all.

I wonder, what's the difference between these two words?

- One of Dundee’s players was sent off for punching another player. :tick:
- One of Dundee’s players was ruled out for punching another player. :cross: - I was told that in the context of a player who was sent off on a pitch - got a red card ......sent off can't by substituted by ruled out. Is that true? However, I've seen sentences like "He has been ruled out of the match with a knee injury. So, does it mean that "send off" is just a special term that is used only in such a limited context - for a player on a pitch who is just being sent off by a referee?

Also, if I changed the original sentence to:

One of Dundee’s players was ruled out of the match for punching another player.:tick::confused:

.it would be ok to use "rule out" , wouldn't it?

Thank you!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Rule out' is a very general term for deciding or agreeing that something will not happen. Military action against Iran has not been ruled out, for example. Boris Johnson has ruled out remaining in the EU past the end of this month.

'Send off' is the specific action against a footballer on the field.

Packard

USA, English
    In American English "rule out" means "exclude" or "eliminate" or "to make impossible".

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Also, if I changed the original sentence to:

One of Dundee’s players was ruled out of the match for punching another player.:tick::confused:

.it would be ok to use "rule out" , wouldn't it?
    It would be OK if the people who decided which players were to be in the team made the decision to not consider him for a ftuure match after he had punched another player on or off the pitch.

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Send off" in team sports means that the person is ordered to leave the field of play. In football (soccer), this means they cannot return to the field for the remaining duration of the match, nor can another player be sent on in their place. In other sports the rules may be different, such as allowing a substitute player or allowing the sent off player back on after a period of time. It is a very specific action.

"Rule out" in terms of sports players is almost entirely used in relation to games in the future, not games that are currently taking place:
    Keith's sending off in last week's match has ruled him out of Saturday's game, as he has to serve a two-match ban.​

ritter66

Czech
    Thanks for such a detailed explanation!

One more question. So in Box, as far as I understand it, send off would not be used at all, right?

kentix

English - U.S.
    Sports terms can be very specific to the game.

In ice hockey, you can be given a penalty, which requires you to leave the game for a specific period of time, and sit in a restricted area (away from your team) called the penalty box. You can come back into the game after the time period expires. A more severe form of misbehavior might get you ejected from the remainder of the game.

In baseball, you are "ejected" from the game. More casually, it's referred to as being "thrown out" of the game.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >