rules for tense agreement?

pochacco

English
Does the sentence, "He got his umbrella because it is raining." make sense? Or does the tense in this case have to match and be "because it was raining"?

• pochacco

English
    << Merged with previous post on same topic. >>

Is this sentence grammatically correct: "He got his umbrella because it is raining."
    Or does past tense in the first part of the sentence mean it must be past tense "because it was raining"?
    What if you had this sentence with the word now, would the tenses be correct even though tenses don't match: He bought a package of seeds and now he is digging a hole in the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Does the sentence, "He got his umbrella because it is raining." make sense? Or does the tense in this case have to match and be "because it was raining"?
    By itself, it sounds odd, but there is nothing grammatically wrong with the sentence. You might say it if it is still raining now.
    Mike: I thought Jack was going to leave his umbrella in his room.
    Jill: No, he went and got his umbrella because it's raining. [We are more likely to say 'it's' than 'it is'.]

However, often when we talk about a reason for something that was done in the past, we put that reason in the past as well. Even if it is still raining now, I might say.
    "When we were about to leave, Jack went inside and got his umbrella because it was raining."
    My explanation is that it's in the past to match the time at which the person was thinking about it.

<< Note: This was written before the posts were moved into the same thread, so responds only to the first post. >>

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >