Run a household/Keep a family going

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hi, native speakers of English!

The sentence I have doubts about is:

"Nowadays, both the husband and the wife strive together in order to run the household."

What does "run the household" imply here, exactly? Does it have to do with the house itself (furniture, cleaning, bills and so on), or can it also be used to refer to the effort that bringing up children involves?

Does this other sentence make sense? (I need to refer to the effort it takes to support a family in general):

"Nowadays, both the husband and the wife strive together in order to keep the family going."

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

• DocPenfro

English - British
    "Run the household" is a comprehensive term that would include the physical, financial and emotional demands of sustaining a house and family. In the past there would have been a more obvious division of labour between the man, who earned the money by working at his job, and the woman, who did the housework, looked after the children and did the shopping.

"Keep the family going" is effectively the same thing. I would regard your two sentences as having exactly the same meaning, and both are perfectly acceptable in terms of English grammar.