run along

Zsuzsu

Hungarian
Hi all,

Is the following sentence correct?

"The stove is the foundation of the invisible vertical axis that runs along the middle of the yurt."

What troubles me is "run along" - can an axis run along the middle of something?

Thanks,
zsu

• katie_here

England/English
    I understand the question, even yurt now because I looked it up ;).

To run along is to be parallel with, so in effect if there was a vertical line and the stove was parallel with it, then yes it would "run along the invisible axis".

The word that is troubling me is "foundation". I don't know how it can be a foundation of something that is invisible, but I could be wrong.

I think you need someone with better skills than mine to re-word the sentence. I just didn't want your post unanswered.

Zsuzsu

Hungarian
    Thanks, Katie, for being so kind and not leaving me alone with my post!:)
    It is a translation and in the Hungarian original there was "foundation", so I don't want to leave it out, though it is strange for me, too...

katie_here

England/English
    Thanks, Katie, for being so kind and not leaving me alone with my post!:)
    It is a translation and in the Hungarian original there was "foundation", so I don't want to leave it out, though it is strange for me, too...

I understand better now. I thought you were writing this article yourself.

Reading the sentence you quoted, I can see that the stove is right in the middle, as though it represents the invisble verticle axis that marks the centre of the yurt.

I think, perhaps, the translation doesn't quite use the right words, but even so, you can get a picture in your mind of what they are trying to describe.

The word foundation, is the first structure on which everything else is built, which is why it sounded strange, the stove being a foundation for something that wasn't there, if you see what I mean!. In my understanding, the stove is in place of the vertical axis.

< Previous | Next >