run over

ddubug

Korean
Hi,

I'm reading an article written by Karyn Purvis Ph. D. It's for parents' training.

[And if I were to draw the continuum and I were to draw a line to represent structure and then I would draw a line to represent nurture, structure could be positive structure, like I have appropriate age demands on my child. Or, No structure – my child can just run over me. ]

What does this "run over" mean? Dictionary says "to hit and drive over someone or something with a vehicle" which doesn't work for me in this sentence.

Could you help me to understand this context?

• Logos_

English - America
    "Run over" is metaphorical here. It means to disobey and disrespect someone, to bully someone.

"My husband has been verbally abusing me, and I'm tired of letting him run over me."

If someone is being very timid in such a way that they allow others to bully them we might say, "Don't let others run over you."

ddubug

Korean
    "Run over" is metaphorical here. It means to disobey and disrespect someone, to bully someone.

"My husband has been verbally abusing me, and I'm tired of letting him run over me."

If someone is being very timid in such a way that they allow others to bully them we might say, "Don't let others run over you."
    Thank you!

< Previous | Next >