run to [+ time]

Ume

Banned
Japanese
Hello.

"You don't seem to realise that a housewife's working day can run to fifteen hours or so."
Question 1: Is "run to" correctly used here?
Question 2: Is it okay to use "come to," "reach" or "run up to" instead of "run to"?

• elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I would say "can last as long as 15 hours."

None of the other suggestions sounds good to me.

Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    elroy, thank you for the reply.

"run to + time"
    Is this correct English?
    Could you give me a sample?

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    It didn't sound like good English to me, but I wasn't sure so I did some Google experimentation.

There are only 15 results for "run to five minutes," some of which employ "run" as a noun.

There are about 164 results for "run to an hour." A little more reassuring, but still not terribly so.

My conclusion is that if it's good English it's probably not too common. Perhaps others have heard or used this structure more frequently than I.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    DaleC said:
    The sentence you have presented is a good example. You were mistakenly told it is not good English.

Nobody was told, mistakenly or otherwise, that run to + time is not good English. The comment that was made was one of a tentative opinion, and not an asseveration of something being incorrect: "....didn't sound like good English to me...".

It is not formal English, to be used in written work. That's why the Google citations are sparse. It is colloquial, rather than incorrect. It is common in casual speech, but not in written work.

cas29

Canada/English
    You will often find "run up to + time" "or run into + cost"
    Run up + time in the example of house work you used above,
    and "the fees ran into thousands of dollars, which was far above expecations"