"run up (or - winning by) a cricket score"

sam9A

India
Hi,

I recently came across this statement:

"Having smashed San Marino 13-0 last September, Germany are expected to run up a cricket score but the German camp are doing their best to talk down any prospects of a big win."

(From sundaytimes.co.za/Sport/Article.aspx?id=480708)

Another new item says:

"Eastern Counties run up a cricket score...

...Faced with an almost impossible task of winning by a cricket score and then relying on results going their way, Counties' players could easily have thrown in the towel."

Source

By its tone and context, the phrase "to run up a cricket score" seems to be meaning "a very high score" or "a very difficult to achieve score", though I am not sure about this meaning.

A search about the exact meaning and origin of the phrase through the internet and through this forum did not bring up any results.

Can anybody help me find out, what is the exact meaning of this phrase, and what its origin is.

Thanks.

• palomnik

English
    Like most Americans, I'm far from an expert on the subject of cricket. However, it is true that the scores in a cricket match can be incredibly high, and sometimes one side may have a score that's over 100 points higher than the other side. So I'd say that the phrase means running up a very high score.

It's not a phrase that an American would use and expect to be understood.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Like most Americans, I'm far from an expert on the subject of cricket. However, it is true that the scores in a cricket match can be incredibly high, and sometimes one side may have a score that's over 100 points higher than the other side. So I'd say that the phrase means running up a very high score.

It's not a phrase that an American would use and expect to be understood.
    Palomnik,

I think you must have points in baseball - Cuchu would know - but in cricket you score runs. A good cricket score would be 500 runs and a poor one 150; I'm talking about important matches here.

sam9A

India
    Thanks guys!!! I know cricket, and the high scores involved. But I had never come across this phrase before. The first news item, I quoted was about football, and the second actually about cricket. Fancy that - An article about cricket talking about "running up a cricket score". I would think that even a score of 0 runs in a cricket match would be a "cricket score" :).

Can anyone check for me, when and how this phrase originated i.e. when might have it been used officially for the first time.

Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >