...runaway bride lines

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenshin

philippines (filipino english)
hi,
i've been wanting to know the meaning of this phrase:
"to family & friends: May you find yourselves the bull's eye of an easy target; may you be publicly flogged for all your bad choices; & may your noses be rubbed in all of your mistakes."
context is, a guy wishing the bride-to-be who happened to run away from her own wedding three times. it's from a film. an old one.
thank you very much taking time to read & answer .

• katie_here

England/English
    The bull's eye of an easy target. The bull's eye is the centre of a darts board, the highest score. So the bull's eye of an easy target is a hit each time. Publicly flogged for all your bad choices, is to be whipped and beaten in front of a crowd every time you make a bad choice. Noses rubbed in all your mistakes, is a reference to some people's practice of rubbing a dog's nose in its faeces to teach it not to dirty on the floor (or whereever it's just done it!).

So all that the guy is wishing the bride-to-be is bad.

mally pense

England, UK English
    This is too complicated to answer specifically all in one go except to say that obviously the guy is wishing bad things to happen to his estwhile bride.

I'd suggest posting a couple of more specific threads for the particular phrases you don't understand, e.g. for "bull's eye of an easy target" and "may your noses be rubbed in..."

Matching Mole

England, English
    Moderator note:

Please keep each thread to a single topic. The opening text here consists of three separate phrases. Each one should be discussed in a separate thread.

I am closing this thread. Katie_here may well have answered your questions, Kenshin, but if not, please start a new thread on any of the phrases that you still don't understand.

Matching Mole

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >