Russian, Ukrainian, Bosnian (BCS): "union steward"

sarah97302

USA, English
I am trying to translate the phrase "union steward" [also sometimes called "shop steward" in English]. It means a worker elected by his/her co-workers to represent workers in grievances, arbitrations, negotiations with management, to resolve on-the-job issues, etc.

I need to translate to Russian, Ukrainian, and Bosnian. but help with any one of the three would be appreciated.

thank you!

-sarah

• Q-cumber

shop steward (workers' representative) - "цеховой староста" or "профсоюзный организатор". This is according to a dictionary. I don't know whether these translations convey the orginal sense well. Anyway, these terms aren't that popular in Russian.

Athaulf

Croatian/Bosnia, Croatia
    I am trying to translate the phrase "union steward" [also sometimes called "shop steward" in English]. It means a worker elected by his/her co-workers to represent workers in grievances, arbitrations, negotiations with management, to resolve on-the-job issues, etc.

I need to translate to Russian, Ukrainian, and Bosnian. but help with any one of the three would be appreciated.

In Bosnian (and Croatian and Serbian as well), it would be sindikalni predstavnik.

Sindikalni is an adjective derived from sindikat (which means trade union, not syndicate in those languages), and predstavnik = representative.

dnldnl

Russian, Ukrainian
    There is no technical term for the union steward in Ukrainian that I am aware of. However, I think you can't go wrong saying: "лідер робітничого союзу" (Lider robitnychogo soyuzu). Literally, "leader of the worker union."

In Ukrainian, лідер is a common designation for the person elected to represent the interests of the organization.