rustic village

Daffodil100

Chinese
  • Grady412

English - US
    I think what you're saying is that it's redundant since one definition of rustic is pertaining to the country. But rustic also means simple and unsophisticated. That's what the writer means in your example. It paints a picture of a charming old village and is not a derogatory term as you might have inferred.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No, you can have villages anywhere, although they are commoner in the countryside. A village is usually a smallish grouping of houses and other buildings whose boundaries, though vague, are roughly defined.

The writer used 'rustic' as it implies an old-world charm, pleasant, sunny and relaxed; a place where you can revel in nostalgia for a past, more genteel, time.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Your understanding of the word "village" is incorrect. The word can refer to a community that for one reason or another is not considered a "city". Location is only one of the reasons; others might include smaller size or different form of government. For example, you could have an extremely wealthy, sophisticated, and fashionable community located in the suburbs of a large city that was called a "village", but which would never be thought of as "rustic".

pob14

American English
    I agree with Greenwhiteblue. I used to live fairly close to Elk Grove Village, Illinois, which is a "village" of over 30,000 residents. It's most definitely not rustic. (There is, however, a grove, which indeed has some elk, but they were brought in because of the name, which is a mispronunciation of an Indian name.)

< Previous | Next >