Ruthless deals = unscrupulous deals?

< Previous | Next >

mausim

Portuguese-Brazil
From 'Next' book, by Michael Crichton:

Watson was a young-looking fifty-two, and assiduously cultivated his reputation as a capitalist with a conscience.

That appellation had carried him through a succession of ruthless business deals: all the media ever showed were his appearances at charter schools, or handing out scholarships for underprivileged kids.

Ruthless deals is the same as unscrupulous deals?

In addition, I did not understand 'all the media ever showed were his appearances'.

Could somebody help me? Thank you.

• A 'ruthless' deal is where some of the parties to it are going to be seriously harmed--and will have no way to prevent that. For example, I buy, for a very low price, a piece of land on which there is an old building housing 20 people. The owner of the land is desperate to sell. My plan is to destroy the building and put up luxury condominiums.

The newspapers, for example, only report on the fellow's few, ostentatious, charitable actions.

mausim

Portuguese-Brazil
    A 'ruthless' deal is where some of the parties to it are going to be seriously harmed--and will have no way to prevent that. For example, I buy, for a very low price, a piece of land on which there is an old building housing 20 people. The owner of the land is desperate to sell. My plan is to destroy the building and put up luxury condominiums.

The newspapers, for example, only report on the fellow's few, ostentatious, charitable actions.
    Thank you, bennymix. It is clear now.

< Previous | Next >