Rzeczpospolita and republika

cjmewett

USA, English
This seems an appropriate place to ask the difference between the words rzeczpospolita and republika in Polish. I had assumed that the latter was simply a cognitive adoption from other European languages. Are there specific instances where each is used? I know that the Polish Republic is always Rzeczpospolita Polska, but is republika used for all other nations?

• Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    cjmewett said:
    This seems an appropriate place to ask the difference between the words rzeczpospolita and republika in Polish. I had assumed that the latter was simply a cognitive adoption from other European languages. Are there specific instances where each is used? I know that the Polish Republic is always Rzeczpospolita Polska, but is republika used for all other nations?
    Hi,

I have read about it lately. In Polish the word rzeczpospolita is only used when you speak of Poland (and it’s only used in its official name). It was also used in Rzeczospolita Obojga Narodów (Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth). I think that vast majority of countries translates the name of my country using the word republic and I think there’s no difference in meaning. The word rzeczpospolita is an exact translation of Latin word respublica; rzecz = res and pospolita=publica. In XVI century Rzeczospolita Obojga Narodów (Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth) was created and ever since the word rzeczpospolita was used in the official name of Poland.

We use the word republic (i.e. republika) for every other country which is a republic. :)

Welcome to the forums. :)

Tom

Edit: In Polish the word republika derives from French.

cjmewett

USA, English
    Thanks for your reply. I couldn't think of any other cases (other than Rzeczpospolita Polska and Rzeczpospolita Obojga Narodow) where I had encountered the term, and republika seemed far more common. Good to know that it has a very sensible explanation. :thumbsup: And thanks for the welcome!

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I got one more that came to my mind, namely, Polska Rzeczpospolita Ludowa (PRL).
    There's also a newspeaper in Poland named Rzeczpospolita.

Yep, you are right the term republika is far more common, it's due to the fact we use rzeczpospolita solely in reference to Poland.

Tom

polaco

Poland/polish
    Thomas1 said:
    I got one more that came to my mind, namely, Polska Rzeczpospolita Ludowa (PRL).
    There's also a newspeaper in Poland named Rzeczpospolita.

Yep, you are right the term republika is far more common, it's due to the fact we use rzeczpospolita solely in reference to Poland.

Tom
    Hello,

I think that I've seen in some books about history (rather old ones) polish authors using term rzeczpospolita in reference to other states, e.g. Rzeczpospolita Wenecka.

In old polish word rzeczpospolita was used instead of republic: Takie będą rzeczypospolite jakie ich młodzierzy chowanie.

Greetnigs

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    polaco said:
    Hello,

I think that I've seen in some books about history (rather old ones) polish authors using term rzeczpospolita in reference to other states, e.g. Rzeczpospolita Wenecka.
    Hi,
    Yes, this is true. I should have wisely written that we use republika in reference to currently existing republics. Even though you still can find examples of Rzeczpospolita Wenecka or Rzeczpospolita Rzymska in old books I think these are the relicts of the past since nowadays the usage of Republika Wenecka/Rzymska seems to prevail. :)

In old polish word rzeczpospolita was used instead of republic: Takie będą rzeczypospolite jakie ich młodzieży chowanie.
    I'd say that Zamojski used that in broader context and here it rather means kraje (states) than just republics (that'd be my interpretation). :)

All the best,
    Tom

< Previous | Next >