s'élever à 14% en semaine, contre 44% le samedi

MelD

Hi everyone,

I am reading an article regarding a change to the rules regarding the quota of French songs which must be played on the radio. There is a particular section which I am struggling to understand:

[Source.]
Or certaines stations avaient tendance à concentrer leurs efforts sur les aubes du samedi... De quoi susciter la grogne du SNEP : « Nous avions mené une étude qui montrait que la part de la chanson francophone entre 6h30 et 8h30 pouvait s'élever à 14% en semaine, contre 44% le samedi ! », assure David El Sayegh... Les « heures significatives » resteront identiques en semaine, mais se concentreront sur le 8 heures-22h30 les samedis et dimanches.

Could anyone explain the phrases in bold to me please? Does the SNEP want more songs played on a Saturday morning or less?

Merci d'avance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • mathilde70

French
    Many people listen to the radio between 6:30 and 8:30 on weekdays before going to work, many less on Saturday mornings.
    So Saturday from 6 to 8 should not count as prime time, and should not count for the French song quota.

MelD

Many people listen to the radio between 6:30 and 8:30 on weekdays before going to work, many less on Saturday mornings.
    So Saturday from 6 to 8 should not count as prime time, and should not count for the French song quota.
    Thanks mathilde70 for the explanation. But what does « Nous avions mené une étude qui montrait que la part de la chanson francophone entre 6h30 et 8h30 pouvait s'élever à 14% en semaine, contre 44% le samedi ! » translate as? I am confused about the 's'élever à 14% en semaine, contre 44% le samedi' bit!

< Previous | Next >