s'élever au rang de...

Kim_Lan

French - Vietnamese
Hello,

How do we say "s'élever au rang de..." in english ?
Is it just : "to rise into a higher rank" or "to upgrade into ...(sthg)" ? I'm quite sure it's not correct.

Thank you for your help !

• lingobingo

English - England
    I think it's best to use a literal translation here. We talk of people being elevated to a higher rank. But it's impossible to be precise without more context!

Kim_Lan

French - Vietnamese
    Thank you for your answer.
    Ok. So the context in which I would like to use these words is quite special. In fact, I wanted to talk about animals that have been transformed into dragons (imaginary animal of higher rank) since they have succeed in some challenges, they have earned the right to become a more powerful living being.

But it's also good to know that it's grammaticaly correct to say "to be elevated to a higher rank" ! And in that case, could it be used for any context ? Or is it specifically used for a better job for instance, a better position in an organisation, or someone who's receiving a title (Lord for example) ?

lingobingo

English - England
    "Elevated to a higher rank" can be used in various circumstances, but (as sound shift says!) it's quite formal so its applications are limited.

In your context you could perhaps use promoted or elevated to the status of dragon.

< Previous | Next >