# - símbolo almohadilla/numeral

ordequin

Castellano/ España
Greetings,

Could someone tell me how do you say "#" in English? In Castilian we call it "almohadilla".
I was not able to find a translation in the dictionaries, neither in any thread.

Thanks in advance.

• ordequin

Castellano/ España
    Thank you very very much.
    I'm seeing that it also can be called "pound sign" (USA & Canada), "number sign" (Europe) and even "octothorp"; and I have learnt that in South America they call it "gato".

Anyway, "hash" was the word I was looking for. Thanks for the answers and for that interesting link. :)

St. Nick

English
    Creo que hoy día se suele llamar "pound sign," pero no estoy al día con su uso en las redes sociales.

Last edited by a moderator:

oriental

Spanish-R.O.Uruguay
    ¡¡¡Hola Ordequin!!!, siempre se aprende con tus posteos... por aquí lo llamamos "numeral".

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    All sounds a bit strong. And sometimes it can be a typo.

Just curious (I don't know): native French and Italian speakers do not make this mistake? Because of course native English speakers do not.:rolleyes:

In any case, thanks for reminding me...

Almighty Egg

English (British)
    In telephone keypads in the United States, telephone recordings refer to it as the "pound key". That name is pretty fixed now in American English.
    Here is a link you can use to read up on the different names for it.
    http://wiki.ask.com/Number_sign

I had no idea it was called the "pound key" in the States. For me it's the hash. If I heard "pound key" I would think of "£".
    From that wiki link, I think it's important to highlight:
    In Commonwealth English, the symbol is usually called the hash and the corresponding telephone key is called the hash key. In American English, the symbol is usually called the pound sign (outside the US, this term often describes instead the British currency symbol "£") and the telephone key is called the pound key.[1]
    Cheers.

Red Blood

Español, Argentina
    En Argentina, este símbolo # es numeral y este otro * asterisco. Nunca escuché por estos lares que alguien hable ni de almohadilla ni de gato para referirse a los mismos.

Saludos australes.

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    I had no idea it was called the "pound key" in the States. For me it's the hash. If I heard "pound key" I would think of "£".
    Back in the 70s in the U.S. it always seemed to be "hash mark", but in visits to the US over the past 10 or 15 years I've noticed it's become "pound sign", at least when it comes to recorded messages giving instructions.