słonko/słoneczko

• Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    My 2 cents:
    Apart from the literal meaning that laies behind the words in question and although they are both neuter, they can be used as a form of address to both sexes.

Tom

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Well, I guess it all depends on context (as usual).

I have heard many a time boys being called słoneczko/słonko, though it seems it was always women who did that.

I can also imagine women calling their partners słoneczko/słonko. ;)

Tom

katie_here

England/English
    I meant the context of a romantic relationship between a man and woman. In other contexts, I can even imagine males addressing other males this way - but only in jest of course. ;)

Calling someone "sunshine" in English, is a friendly way, but it isn't romantic in the slightest, you can call someone it who is a nice person, or a bit of a bright spark, a cheeky chappy.

I used it to remind someone they were supposed to do something. To a friend, who is a lot younger than I (a male also). "Hey sunshire, blah de blah de blah"

When I see him in work today, if he looks mad at me, then I'll know it was wrong!!! :D

I guess that's the difference between those rough equivalents. "Słonko" can also be used in the romantic way.

Though, on the other hand, I can also imagine two lovers address each other "sunshine"," and that would be romantic.

Here's a thread on "morning sunshine" in which, apparently, we both took part. :)