s’était fait marabouter au souk

Joanne83

New Zealand English
What does this word mean.

context

"Elle s'est fait marabouter au souk"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • LV4-26

marabout : the initial meaning is the same as in English and can be seen here
    By analogy : a sorcerer, a priest of a fetishist religion.

Un marabout, in French and especially in Paris, refers to a man (generally of African origin) who makes a living through supposedly "magical" practices. By manipulating his customers' personal objects he claims he can predict their future or bring (back) hapiness to them. They advertize a lot in the local papers and in the streets, hence les prospectus (leaflets).

EDIT
    "Elle s'est fait marabouter au souk"
    Not sure. She probably met a marabout there and had her fortune told. Or he healed her of some disease or something.

Neville Longdubat

England English
    « Une de ses voisines s’était fait marabouter au souk »
    Jusqu’ici tout que je peux comprendre est « One of their neighbours… » Qu’est que ce phrase veut dire ??? Elle vient d’un livre au sujet d’une fille maghrébine et elle parle de la magie noire, si cela vous aidez !!

Cath.S.

français de France
    se faire marabouter = jeter un sort par un marabout
    I'm not sure the verb actually exists, it sounds made up.
    Un souk = an Arab market, a market.

One of her neighbours had a spell cast on her at the market.

Neville Longdubat

England English
    Ahhh, that sounds about right. Thank you very much. The author makes a lot of verbs up and uses slang quite often too so that might be why. Merci beaucoup!

Fitzgerald

Ireland/ English
    "Elle s'tait fait marabouter au souk un mois avant son mariage. Ensuite elle est devenue chauve et la cérémonie a été annulée."

I am thinking she went to see a medium or a furtune-teller. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Meight

French
    Hi,

Marabouter is a verb meaning "go to meet a marabout". Search for marabout on Google, it's not really a medium.

Meight

French
    That's what I meant, sorry. I said it's not a medium. I didn't say "être marabouté" but marabouter, which is quite different. Marabouter means going to meet a marabout to cast a spell on someone, but the main action is going to meet, no casting a spell. Opposed to "être marabouté" which means that a marabout has cast a spell on you.

But within the context, you're right.

sylpholys

french - français
    I agree with snarkhunter, for me "marabouter" means to cast a spell on someone (marabouts are a kind of african sorcerer).

être marabouter : to be the victim of the spell.

< Previous | Next >