's after names of companies (genitive case)

< Previous | Next >

Malahide156

Russian
Greetings, everyone
I was wondering if it is possible to use 's to show genitive if we are speaking about names of companies like Microsoft etc.
Thanks in advance for answers.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, use the same principles as for common nouns:

Microsoft's profits
    YUKOS's profits, or YUKOS' profits (singular ending in -s, so apostrophe is optional)
    Temasek Holdings' profits (plural ending in -s, so no apostrophe)

Some companies already end in genitive 's, like McDonald's, so you can't change them any more: McDonald's profits.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ... YUKOS's profits, or YUKOS' profits (singular ending in -s, so apostrophe is optional) ...
    I don't think the apostrophe is optional.

Some people feel that the final "s" is optional, but I think it's required also. My authority for this is any map of central London that shows St. James's Park. Several books on grammar say the same thing, but are harder to find. There are several threads here on the topic of forming the possessive of a noun that happens to end in the letter "s."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Yes, use the same principles as for common nouns:

Microsoft's profits
    YUKOS's profits, or YUKOS' profits (singular ending in -s, so apostrophe is optional)
    Temasek Holdings' profits (plural ending in -s, so no apostrophe)

Some companies already end in genitive 's, like McDonald's, so you can't change them any more: McDonald's profits.
    I think what etb meant to write was "so the s after the apostrophe is optional" - and it is true that some people treat singular names and words ending in s as if they were plural.

Andygc

British English
    My authority for this is any map of central London that shows St. James's Park
    We've been round this buoy before, Egmont, in previous threads. St James's Park is on the same central London map as St Thomas' Hospital. Newcastle United FC plays on St James' Park. Exeter City FC plays on St James Park. Not much consistency there.

< Previous | Next >