's 'e 've big dick?

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
I'm wondering, if you heard this phrase: 's 'e 've big dick?, would you understand it immediately? This is how she said it in the film American Beauty, but I had to look in the transcript to undestand what it was...

• VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    "So you and psycho boy are fucking on, like, a regular basis now, right? 's 'e 've big dick?"

Is that clearer?:) I mean, the last sentence is written in the transcript in a normal way, but the OP is how she actually says that.

Oddmania

French
    It only clicked when I tried to pronounce it out loud: zee-av-big dick? -- Does he have a big dick? Is that the intended meaning?

It would probably be clear and obvious in spoken English, however slurred it may sound, but it hardly makes any sense in written English.

EDIT: I've just watched the clip on GetYarn and it doesn't sound as slurred and unintelligible as you wrote it down. It sounds closer to "D'zee 'ave a big dick?" to me.

Last edited:

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I've just seen this clip and to me, she says "Does he have a big dick?", albeit very quickly.

This script shows it like that as well:
    So you and psycho boy are fucking on, like, a regular basis now, right?
    No.
    Come on. You can tell me. Does he have a big dick?

Read more: American Beauty (1999) Movie Script | SS

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    You know sometimes it happens that I hear an inarticulate phrase said by a native speaker in a movie, where I can't make out a single word. But when I look at the first word (or the first two words), I then immediately figure out the rest of the sentence. The power of context! Maybe it's how sometimes the native speaker's brain works in such cases?:D I mean, you think that you hear it when actually you just figure it out:confused:
    Or it's just me:D

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Come on:D, I make a very low speed and a high volume and still all I hear is "zee 've (a) big dick". [there's an implication of the indefinite article but she doesn't really say it). I'm not deaf. Or am I?:D

Oddmania

French
    I mean, you think that you hear it when actually you just figure it out:confused:
    Of course, it's very possible I hear this because I expect to hear this. I know that whenever I hear the sound "zee" at the beginning of a question, there is a very high probability that the question starts with "Does he...". Then you hear "big d*ck" and it just falls into place, even if the whole thing is heavily slurred.

However, I did try to pay attention to each vowel and consonant sound she comes out with, and I clearly heard what I wrote out above. I hear the h in "he" but I can't make out the one in "have", but Trochfa hears otherwise, so maybe it's just me. I can tell she uses different vowels for "have" and for "a", so she doesn't pronounce "have" with a weak schwa. It could be /hæv/ or it could be /hav/ or a slightly different vowel sound, but it's not "uv".

The article is definitely there. Native speakers don't drop articles, even the lazy ones. It's an important part of the sentence. Depending on your accent/education/carefulness in speech, you might drop your Hs, you might drop your Ts, you might drop your Rs, but dropping your "a/an/the" would be a very alien feature, in my opinion. It doesn't even cross people's heads. The article needs to be there. It's like a pronoun or a preposition.

Last edited:

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    She does say it. In natural slur speech. Perhaps you'll need to be drunk to make out the slurs. :D

Duz-ee have-uh* big dick?

The "have" and the "a" (uh) sound run into each other very quickly.

Oddmania

French
    (Don't watch American Beauty drunk! It's a very good film :) You'd fail to fully appreciate Annette Bening's performance).

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Ok, I probably just have a hearing problem then.
    I don't think you have, Vic.

It's very quick, casual speech. I had to listen to it a quite a few times to think "what do I actually hear?" I think the point you and Oddmania made about first language and very fluent speakers hearing something because we expect to hear it, especially from how a sentence has been started is a very valid point. I often find when I'm reading and reach the foot of a page I semi-subconsciously "guess" how that sentence will continue on the next page. The spoken language is probably even more like that - it can often be almost a set series of responses, which is why comedy sometimes uses that principle to its advantage by throwing the audience and making them believe a word or phrase will follow when in fact something else is said for comic effect. :D

But I am now! Just a little though (maybe not enough:D)
    :D

(Don't watch American Beauty drunk! It's a very good film :) You'd fail to fully appreciate Annette Bening's performance).
    :thumbsup:

Wise words from Mr Mania. :)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    You'd fail to fully appreciate Annette Bening's performance).
    Don't worry about that. I can tell you she's awesome!:D

I had to listen to it a quite a few times to think "what do I actually hear?"
    I.e., if you were to watch it without the opportunity to replay it several times you wouldn't be sure about what she actually said?...
    It's very quick, casual speech.
    Yes, but actually the "quick" is not as much of a problem for me as the articulation. If you speak even very fast but clearly, it's ok:D

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I.e., if you were to watch it without the opportunity to replay it several times you wouldn't be sure about what she actually said?...
    No, Vic. I would have understood straight away what she said. I just had to hear it several times to hear exactly how she said it in order to try to write it down phonetically.

Yes, but actually the "quick" is not as much of a problem for me as the articulation. If you speak even very fast but clearly, it's ok:D
    You'd have a problem understanding me then because I cum from the land of the Wurzels (a selection of Worzel Gummidges who sing to something a bit like German Oompah Music). :D (Only joking, and before anyone complains I actually quite like all of these things. :))

The Wurzels:

The Wurzels - Wikipedia

Worzel Gummidge:

Worzel Gummidge - Wikipedia

Copyright

American English
    A poll question about our ability to immediately understand a personally transcribed snippet of speedily spoken speech – for which there are subtitles for the OP, but not for other members – is, as you can imagine, well beyond the scope of this forum, so I am closing it. Copyright, moderator.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >