S or Z

clotimer

Spanish-Spain
Guys I have a question... It might b stupid but anyway: the differences btw Z and S in cases such as analyze and analyse are just a matter of American/Brit English? Is there any other rule? I am asking that because someone corrected me saying analysis was incorrect and I didnt get it.

Cheers

• Masood

British English
    In general, in British English S is used whereas in USA they use Z.
    There is only one correct spelling for ANALYSIS, however 'analyse' (UK) can be spelt 'analyze' (US).

Yola

español, España, Puerto Rico
    Ahhh, Clotimer, a good question! And what about color/colour, labor/labour, favorite/favourite...? ¡Algún nativo please!
    Saludosssssssss
    Yola

edito: ¡Masood, sácame de mi duda también!

Masood

British English
    Ahhh, Clotimer, a good question! And what about color/colour, labor/labour, favorite/favourite...? ¡Algún nativo please!
    Saludosssssssss
    Yola

edito: ¡Masood, sácame de mi duda también!
    Lo del "-our-" es inglés británico. El otro es estadounidense.

loladamore

English UK
    The English Style Guide for authors and translators in the European Commission says:
    Words in -ise/-ize. Use -ise. Both spellings are correct in British English, but the -ise form is now much more common in the media. Using the -ise spelling does away with the need to list the most common cases where it must be used anyway. (There are up to 40 exceptions to the -ize convention: the lists vary in length, few claiming to be exhaustive.)
    However, the MHRA (Modern Humanities Research Association) Style guide says:
    British spelling should be used. For verbs ending in -ize or -ise and their derivatives, the forms in -ize, -ization, etc. (e.g. civilize, civilization) are preferred. Some words, because of their origin, must, however, have the -ise spelling, e.g.:

advertise comprise devise franchise revise
    advise compromise enterprise improvise supervise
    apprise demise excise incise surmise
    chastise despise exercise premise surprise

Note that the British spelling of analyse and its derivatives has s and not z.

Both style guides can be downloaded for free.

< Previous | Next >