s'abstraire

< Previous | Next >

NIGI

British English
Hello everyone,

I am post-editing a document about unfair business practices and an investigation by the Autorité de la concurrence in France. In it, four big companies are accused of acting as one entity to exploit their dominant position on the market. The verb s'abstraire appears as a way of expressing how they have treated the competition. Thus far I've used 'disregard' as a translation, although I'm not convinced now. Perhaps 'evade' might be better.

Conformément aux principes exposés ci-dessus, il convient d’examiner si l’entité collective constituée par A***, Z***, N******, et H***** disposait d’un pouvoir de marché lui permettant de s’abstraire de la concurrence des autres entreprises présentes sur le marché et de la réaction des clients et consommateurs.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Maîtreaupôle

anglais "Canada"
    Hello NIGI,

It seems to be an investigation into whether this combine has sufficient market power to avoid simultaneously both competitive pressure and the possibility of detection by clients and consumers. So to make both aspects fall under one abstract descriptor in the same sense as "s'abstraire" does, I'd suggest thinking in terms of avoidance, and so working with "to avoid" rather than "to disregard". I don't know if my suggestion is helpful, but....maybe. Otherwise, I'd suggest abandoning an effort at any sort of direct translation, and just communicating the sense however you can manage it.

NIGI

British English
    Ok, excellent suggestions. Circumvent and.. perhaps isolate itself from..

< Previous | Next >