Sacar ventaja

• nv1962

Yes, but it can also have an alternative meaning: to have an advantage (over somebody / something else, i.e. in comparison).

Edited example, to avoid confusion: El ciclista colombiano le sacó diez segundos de ventaja al campeón belga en el cronometraje. This doesn't mean the Columbian took advantage of the other, but that he came ahead with an advantage of ten seconds.

aurilla

Am Eng/PR Spanish
    It means to "take advantage of an opportunity or a situation", not somebody else.

It is also used in the sense of taking advantage of an opportunity / situation to win / rise above the opposition in a challenge / a job / school.

Malbecblend

English (United States)
    I found this old thread when trying to make sense of “sacarle ventaja” in the following text:

No estuve siguiendo la situación en Ecuador muy de cerca, pero me sorprende este resultado. Arauz había ganado la primera ronda en febrero y hasta hace poco era el candidato favorito. Cómo hizo Lasso para sacarle ventaja?

Lyrica_Soundbite

Spanish - Argentina
    I found this old thread when trying to make sense of “sacarle ventaja” in the following text:

No estuve siguiendo la situación en Ecuador muy de cerca, pero me sorprende este resultado. Arauz había ganado la primera ronda en febrero y hasta hace poco era el candidato favorito. Cómo hizo Lasso para sacarle ventaja?
    They say those results surprise them, because:
    Arauz had won first round in February and just until recently was the favourite candidate. How did Lasso manage to get ahead of him?