s'adonner / adonner

phoebe_j

English, USA
Dans ce sens: "les Parisiens s'adonnent à la relaxation" = (?) "Parisiens drift into relaxation" et aussi en general, qu'est-ce que ca veut dire?

(Merci d'avance comme toujours!)

• englishman

English England
    Je dirais plutôt "get into" - Parisians get into relaxation techniques.
    I think that "s'adonner" implies giving onself up to a pleasure, in a hedonistic sort of way, rather than merely "getting into" it. Maybe "yield to the temptations of".

Cilquiestsuens

French
    Je m'adonne à toi, would be too strong and it also sounds unusual in French, although it is not wrong... I mean if you already speak perfectly French, use it, otherwise.. I'm pretty much sure it won't work well...

Can't s'adonner be translated by to indulge in sometimes????

pulsar29

French
    Je m'adonne à toi, would be too strong and it also sounds unusual in French, although it is not wrong... I mean if you already speak perfectly French, use it, otherwise.. I'm pretty much sure it won't work well...

Can't s'adonner be translated by to indulge in sometimes????
    Yes, but I think there's a slight negative connotation there.

I would use "Parisians devote themselves to relaxation"

thomasdeannordlum

anglais (amérique); français; espagol
    Câlice. Parait que je ne sais que qqch de genre de “Tu m’intéresse” ou “tu me plais” pour dire “I’m getting into you.” Vous savez, lorsqu’on se trouve aux bars, on se rencontre, on se plait, alors, j’adore dire, en anglais, « I’m getting into you. »

Faut attendre jusqu’à je vis au pays francophone encore pour bien utiliser les expressions qu’il faudrait. Merci.

Shang Qin Li

UK born Live in France English
    "S'adonner à la relaxation"
    I would tend to simply say : "practice relaxation", but....
    'get into relaxation techniques' sounds nice to me
    'indulge in' implies satisfying one's desires. So, "indulge in relaxation", yes, why not ?
    "devote themselves" is also a possibility

Shang Qin Li

UK born Live in France English
    I think that "s'adonner" implies giving onself up to a pleasure, in a hedonistic sort of way, rather than merely "getting into" it. Maybe "yield to the temptations of".
    I tend to agree with you except for:
    "yield to the temptation(s) of" = céder à la tentation (de...). Too strong !

And I have never heard of "adonner". Could be Old French. Have you ?

< Previous | Next >