Safe bet / You cannot go wrong with this

sebastiendu29

français
Hi :)
I would like to find other ways to say "it's a real safe bet, you cannot go wrong with this".
Context: I want to convince someone to try a new activity.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    English does not use "it's a real safe bet" or "you cannot go wrong with this." to describe an activity. It is used to describe an object or a choice of some sort that will deliver an objective or goal.

A: "I hear that you need a new laptop - IBMs are a safe bet / You can't go wrong with an IBM."

So, there has to be a goal/aim/required result - it would have to be: A:"So you want to loose weight? Swimming is a safe bet."

Can you give us a full sentence that will show how you want to use the phrase? :thumbsup:

sebastiendu29

français
    Thank you for you help PaulQ :)

Exemple: "The best thing about paintball is that even a beginner can perform well, it doesn't need any specific skills. So it's a real safe bet if you want to have a great day out with your friends. "

Is it better to say it like this:
    "So it’s really the perfect day out if you want to make sure everybody in your group has a good time. It’s near impossible to be disappointed. " ?

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "So it’s really the perfect day out if you want to make sure everybody in your group has a good time. It’s near impossible to be disappointed."is better because if something is a safe bet, it is usually not the "exciting" option.

< Previous | Next >