Said the priest to the choir boy

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Bopo, May 17, 2011.

1. Bopo New Member

French
    Hi everyone,

I've read this in a movie script. Two old gangsters are talking to a young one, warning him that their night is going to be rough. At the end of the conversation, one of them comments and says : "Said the priest to the choir boy".

I can't figure out what this means really, why he says this and what it refers to. It sounds like a proverb or a biblical reference but I can't find it anywhere.

Should I translate it literally "Dit le prêtre à l'enfant de choeur" or is there an "official" translation in French taht somebody knows of ?

Thanks a lot

2. Flynnzane Senior Member

france
    french, english
  3. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    It's a joke - they've been talking about matters that are obviously pas très catholiques - priests are only supposed to have very chaste things to say to innocent blond headed little choir boys n'est-ce pas? nudge, nudge wink, wink.

4. doinel

doinel Senior Member

Southern France
    France French
    La nuit va être difficile comme dit le évêque à l'enfant de chœur. Référence grivoise aux accusations de pédophilie portées aux membres de l'église catholique . Sorry.
    Rough like rough sex, rough trade ;)
    Welcome to WRF Bopo!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. Bopo New Member

French
    Thanks both of you ! I totally missed the allusion and thought it was more serious... Thanks again !

6. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    It's an interpretation of "said the spider to the fly"

7. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    There are many variants on this in BE: "...as the bishop said to the actress / ...as the art mistress said to the gardener", etc.

The second of these was coined by Beryl Reid on the BBC comedy show Educating Archie in the 1950s.