Said the priest to the choir boy

Bopo

French
Hi everyone,

I've read this in a movie script. Two old gangsters are talking to a young one, warning him that their night is going to be rough. At the end of the conversation, one of them comments and says : "Said the priest to the choir boy".

I can't figure out what this means really, why he says this and what it refers to. It sounds like a proverb or a biblical reference but I can't find it anywhere.

Should I translate it literally "Dit le prêtre à l'enfant de choeur" or is there an "official" translation in French taht somebody knows of ?

Thanks a lot

• franc 91

English - GB
    It's a joke - they've been talking about matters that are obviously pas très catholiques - priests are only supposed to have very chaste things to say to innocent blond headed little choir boys n'est-ce pas? nudge, nudge wink, wink.

doinel

France French
    La nuit va être difficile comme dit le évêque à l'enfant de chœur. Référence grivoise aux accusations de pédophilie portées aux membres de l'église catholique . Sorry.
    Rough like rough sex, rough trade ;)
    Welcome to WRF Bopo!

Last edited:

Bopo

French
    Thanks both of you ! I totally missed the allusion and thought it was more serious... Thanks again !

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    There are many variants on this in BE: "...as the bishop said to the actress / ...as the art mistress said to the gardener", etc.

The second of these was coined by Beryl Reid on the BBC comedy show Educating Archie in the 1950s.

< Previous | Next >