Sailing boat / sailboat

Discussion in 'English Only' started by scotu, Oct 11, 2009.

1. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    Does sailing boat mean the same thing as sailboat?

Thanks, scotu.

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Wikipedia says it does, indeed, mean the same thing. "Sailing boat" sounds strange to me however, probably because of where I was brought up.

3. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

I noticed it as one of the phrases at the top of the page today. I think I've only heard "sailboat" aside from poetry and song.

4. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    Yes, sailing boat is one of the terms in "next weeks terms." I agree whith you that at least in AmE the term is rarely heard. I posted the question to see if it is used in another form of English.

Thank you both for the responses.

5. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Might be a cross-Atlantic difference again. Sailing boat is the more familiar term for me.

Similarly: sparking plug v. spark plug.

Afterword: I've just checked in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English and 'sailing boat' and 'sparking plug' are indeed labelled 'British English'.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I grew up with "sailing boat" but according to the ngram at https://books.google.com/ngrams/gra...ct_url=t1;,sailing boat;,c0;.t1;,sailboat;,c0, "sailboat" has been the dominant form in BrE since about 1980 (due, no doubt, to the influence of AmE, which has a number of compound nouns formed like their German equivalents, such as "cookbook" which, again according to ngram, overtook "cookery book" in BrE around 1960).

7. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    We say "sailboat" in AE, not "sailing boat," but we say "sailing ship" for the large ones that transported people and goods across oceans before steam power came into use.